Cell number 2 - Chopin & Geoge Sand Collection

This is the world's second largest collection of documents and objects relating to the life and work of the Polish composer Frédéric Chopin and french writer George Sand. The couple, undoubtedly the most famous of Paris at the time, came to Majorca in the winter of 1838. The scenery fascinated them and living in a vast empty monastery, with one cementary, excited their romantic imagination. The collection is owned by the heirs of the painter Bartolomé Ferrà and pianist Anne Marie Boutroux and came into being thanks to items being sold or contributed by George Sand's granddaugter, Aurore Sand, who…

Municipal Museum

The Municipal Musem of Valldemossa consists of four sections: the old Guasp printing press with authentic seventeenth century printing plates and a collection of 1590 woodblocks for printing from the sixteenth to the nineteenth centuries; the hall dedicated to Archduke Ludwig Salvador of Austria; Art Gallery of the Serra de Tramuntana with works by artists who were inspired in this part of the island; contemporary art collection dedicated to Juli Ramis and European painters of the twentieth century.

The Charterhouse Apothecary

This apothecary is one of the oldest in Majorca and one of the best preserved in Europe. It was founded by the Carthusians between 1723 and 1725 and remained active until 1895. This apothecary was like a chemis shop but not only for the religious community. After 1835, after the seizure of the monastery, the apothecary began extending its services to the community at large. You can imagine here for a moment George Sand buying medicine for Chopin, who had tuberculosis, or for his fifteen-year-old son, Maurice, who was also sick. The apothecary has accountrements typical chemist shops of earlier…

The Church

It has a Latin cross floorplan, barrel vault roof and dome over the transept. Following the artistic canons of its day, it's neoclassical in style with a predominance of white and gold, giving the church an almost lively air. Several artists were involved in decorating the building. The Catalan sculptor Adrià Ferran created the Descent from the Cross on the main altarpiece, showing the inert body of Jesus in the arms of his mother, accompanied by some angels and crowned with the image of Saint Catalina Thomas, a native of Valldemossa who had close links with the Carthusian monks. Both…

The Concerts Hall

For several decades now the Carthusian monastery has offered visitors a piano concert when they come to the monastery. This recital lasts approximately 15 minutes, performing several of the compositions by the acclaimed musician Frédéric Chopin. The pianist, Carlos Bonnín, delights visitors with his skilful piano playing. This leading musician and composer offers several performances a day inside the Palace of King Sancho. Among the illustrious visitors that have enjoyed this recital are the Queen of Spain Doña Sofía, three Prime Ministers from China and the Environment Ministers of the European Union, among many other authorities of a national and…

The Palace of King Sanç

King Jaume II (James II), the son of Jaime l, El Conquistador, and the first monarch from the house of Mallorca, ordered that this Palace be built early in the 14th century as a place where his son, Sanç, could find relief from his asthma. It's believed to be built on the ruins of an old fortress owned by a Moorish Vali called Mussa or Muça, from which the name Valldemossa may have come. It was one of the rural castles of the Mallorcan dynasty. The Palace mews and the path linking this with the royal house of the Teix…

The Priors Quarters

The Priors Quarters were inhabited by the Prior, the head of the monastery. This cell holds a private Oratorium, Library, Audience Room, Bedroom, Dining room, Ave Maria and Garden, identical in all the cells. The Chapel is presided over by a Gothic sculpture and served as the Prior's own private oratorium. Here the politician and man of letters, G. Jovellanos, used to hear mass while in exile at the monastery. In the antechamber to this chapel you can see a stone plaque commemorating his stay and another in memory of the priors who had lived here. There are also some…